Saturday, December 12, 2009

Silent Night

      She has strawberry blonde hair, almond shaped eyes, a sweet round face, and smiles most of the time. My newest grandbaby is just four months old, all gums when she's happy, and ears that stick out a teense, just enough to be endearing.  Her name is Franny and we are just beginning to know one another. I discovered this week that she might be musical, or at least "very advanced."
     When I was taking care of her this week, she became a little fussy. I sat down on the rocker, put her head over my shoulder, and began patting her bottom. I began to sing "Silent Night."  Recently when I talk to her, Franny makes noises back at me to signal her pleasure, but this was different. With my mouth next to her ear, I sang the song softly.  She began to hum, holding her sounds long enough to match the words. As I sang, "silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright,"  she was right with me. She kept it up through the whole song, then nodded off at the end. Is that even possible? My son says she does that in church with the choir.
     Even if she isn't a musical prodigy, Franny is clearly delighted to be alive, thrilled she can pull herself up to a sitting position by holding tight to my fingers, struggling with everything she has to make sounds that show me how happy she is to be here with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment