Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ants, Buddha, and Day of the Week Underwear


I picked up Rebecca at 9:30 a.m. Saturday morning. I only slept from 11-12:30. I was awake until 4:30 a.m. because of this horrible cough. Feeling kind of airy, floating around. When we got in the car, Rebecca plucked a purple trumpet flower from the fence in front of her duplex. When she was in her car seat, she began to tell me how there was an ant on it, but  she would never kill it, she never killed anything. She loves all animals. We talked about spiders and their beautiful webs. For a 4 year old person, she can handle philosophical conversations really well.

"This is so curious", she said. "What,? I said. "This little ant."

I told her about Buddha, never killing any animal.

We talked about the days of the week. I told her how they used to have girls’ underwear that had the days of the week on it. She was very fascinated and wished she had some.

We were lost for a while driving around in circles and talking some more. When we finally found the fabric store we picked out a pattern, measured her doll Elizabeth (who used to belong to her mother), found some purple colored fabric with Easter eggs on it, white lace, and purple ribbon for the straps of the blouse. I also bought her a new pincushion and a box of pins with different colored balls on top. Our total was $38.00 for a doll dress. God have mercy. While we waited for our turn at the cutting table, Rebecca did leaps and pirouettes, and pointed her toes and jumped and spun around.

I told her how I used to play with my mother’s pincushion while she sewed at her machine. I would lay on her bed and push the pins in and out to hear the scrunchy straw noise the cushion makes and talk to my mother.

Somehow the whole project took almost 3 hours. Rebecca’s ears were hurting and we were hungry by the time we got home. I haven't actually sewn anything from a pattern, but I didn't tell her that.  Next week we'll cut out the material and pin the whole dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment