Saturday, April 24, 2010

What If God was One of Us...



What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home
He's trying to make his way home
Back up to heaven all alone
- Joan Osborne

Children watch everything we do. Good or bad, significant or not. How we treat others, how we use power in the world. When I taught high school, the kids would ask about anything that was the teeniest bit different about me or the classroom. I have twin toes on both of my feet. One day I wore sandals without socks. The kids noticed and started  a rumor started that I had 6 toes on each of my feet.

Aiden and I were driving home from school. I stopped at a red light. A homeless man was standing on the divider, looking forlorn, disshelved, and very thin. He was holding a sign that said, "Please Help. God Bless you.""   I rifled through my wallet, found a $5 bill, I looked the man in the eye, smiled, and stretched my left hand to reach him.

From the backseat, a little voice, "Why you do that, Gramma Jannie,?" Aiden asked.

I said Jesus wants us to share what we have with others who are hungry or need something. When we got home, Aiden ran into his room, went directly into his cash register, took out five dollar bill from his play money and gave it to me. And kissed me on my cheek. It makes me teary just thinking about it.

We were tired and thirsty so we each  had a lemonade popsicle, then watched the Bears, a new one called,
” By the Sea.”

We went downstairs to the fountain-we brought bubbles and a fruit roll.

A neighbor brought down her grandbaby, Giana, so Aiden could see her. The woman’s name was Lauri.

Aiden sang “Little Bunny Foo Foo” for the baby girl and she smiled.

Randy came home while we were outside and Aiden just screamed he was so happy to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment